Sunday, November 2, 2008

We've arrived!







Aloha! This is my first blog so I hope this works out. I'm open to any suggestions to make this more helpful.
I wanted to create a site to help others who are planning to move with their pets to Hawaii. From reading the moving to Hawaii/travel/citydata forums, there are so many people wanting more information and I don't have time to reply to every email or follow forum threads. When I first started this process, there were so many questions and I couldn't find all the answers I needed. Our two dogs are so important to us, we didn't want to put them in baggage for fear of the unknown. We also didn't want them to spend any time in quarantine. I checked out dogtravel company to see about chartered flights where the dogs could ride in the cabin, cruise ships, cargo companies that transport zoo animals, everything. We considered driving to the West coast so they wouldn't have to change planes. I spent countless hours on this process and am happy to report that everything went smoothly and our dogs love the beach. They are both large breed dogs at 12+ years old so we were very worried, but they are totally fine. I took pictures of every step of the way, even loading them on/off the planes. Since I spent so much time researching everything, and since we achieved success, others should benefit from all our efforts.
Of course, the flying part was the final step. The culmination of weeks, months, even years (in our case) of preparation. Finding pet friendly housing, satisfying Hawaii's Department of Agriculture requirements, and the weighty decision process of whether to bring your pets in the first place. I am extra conscientious, and we were undecided for a while, so it shouldn't take others quite so long, if you know for sure you want to come to Hawaii you only need about 4-6 months to prepare adequately.
So I'll begin by posting some pictures, then start on the step by step description of the process. So, the snowy picture is the "before" picture. The "after" picture is from the end of our first beach walk!








2 comments:

Kelly said...

I'm excited to find this blog! I am thinking about moving to Hawaii next summer, but am concerned about transporting my puppy. I look forward to reading your entries to see if this is right for us! Great idea for a blog :)

has2dogs said...

��