Sunday, November 9, 2008

Lazy Sunday

Just a quick Aloha and some pics. The excitement of the move has caught up with us and we're spending a lazy Sunday lounging around with the tradewinds gently blowing through the lanai doors. Local pineapple, papaya and apple bananas for breakfast, Times fried rice with Spam and eggs, papaya salad with tofu for lunch grindz. I'm teaching a yoga class this afternoon and looking forward to it.





So far, it seems that our expenses are less than they were on the mainland. We've only used 1/4 tank of gas since we've been here, since it's easy to bike or walk everywhere. I used to commute about 6 miles each way to work and now I ride my beach cruiser. Since we prefer poke and Asian foods they are cheaper here than on the mainland as well. We don't have any heating or cooling bills. So far so good. Above, a picture I took while snorkeling.


Today's Honolulu Advertiser has a feature on places where President-elect Barack Obama used to live. I thought I'd share the pictures we took when we ran into him on the beach when he was visiting in August. He only had 3 or 4 secret service guys with him that morning, so we were able to talk to him and he was quite friendly. The first picture was when we had passed him already and it took me a while for the shock to wear off and have the sense to pull out my camera. He's in the middle in the white T shirt and shorts with his friend Marty on the left in a dark T shirt. He's flanked by the guys in slacks and dress shirts and wingtips, they sure looked strange on the beach dressed like that. Then on the way back, we saw him again, that is the second picture. Mr. Obama joked about whether I was following him. The third photo is the one that ran in the paper the next day taken by a paparazzi with a better camera than mine. I doubt we'll be able to run into him in the same way again, he'll probably need more security from now on.




The picture below is of Tasha feeling at home in her crate. Since they are adjusting to a new place, it seems that the dogs like to go inside their crates to feel like there is a familar place for them to be. They get so tired from running on the beach, it is so exciting for them, and they come home and happily sleep the rest of the day.

I have another suggestion for something you might want to get before coming here. We have been rinsing the dogs at the beach shower after our walks, and it can be quite a pain. I found a hose attachment on Craigslist that makes it much easier. I don't think they are available here, so if you can find one bring it with you. Any short garden hose and sprayer that attaches to a garden hose faucet will work. It's nice to get the sand and salt water off the dogs before coming in the house.

I'm struggling a bit with the formatting here with pictures and text, sorry for the weird layout. I haven't received any comments or suggestions or followers so if this blog is useful or not please let me know. My upcoming posts will cover some more of the Hawaii Dept. of Agriculture pet importation requirements in greater detail. Have a great rest of the weekend!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello. Great site! Since you are not sure if anyone is reading, I just want to drop a line to let you know I read it. I found it thru bringfido.com. I used to live in Hawaii with my dogs and now I live with one of them in Bangkok, Thailand. I'm constantly looking for opportunities to move back there, if only I can find a job there!

P.S. I had to register as Google blogger to add a comment to your site. Maybe that's why you don't receive comments...

petzzz

MJ said...

Hi. I am reading your blog as we are in the process of moving back to Hawaii. It is great! We have a German Shepherd (long haired) and a Great Pyrenees. We currently live in Minneapolis and are returning to Hawaii after five and a half years away. I will be staying longer than we were intending due to the 120 day quarantine requirements. I guess I get to have my last real "winter" here and the dogs can run on the frozen lake for the last time. I cannot wait until they can run on the beach with me. Thanks to your blog I have just checked and found my dog's chip numbers and exact date they can arrive in Hawaii. Thanks a million for that link:) I see by your photos that you live in Lanikai. We are currently buying a house (with a decent size yard) in the Keolu Hills in Kailua. I would love to thank you personally for this great blog when I get back there.
Cheers (I am Australian)
MJ