Thursday, April 12, 2012

Happy Spring 2012! Still going strong!

Aloha!
Here is a picture I took on Easter morning right before sunrise from the Pillbox Trail in the hills above Lanikai.

The doggies are still going strong. Tasha is having some hip problems, but she can make it to the beach on a good day and has a strong appetite. We walk them to Kailua Beach Park twice a day. Tasha is now 15 years 9 months old and Danzig is at least that old, though we aren't sure because he was a stray. We've had them both since 1996/97. Tasha was also adopted from the shelter, but her previous owners dropped her off with her papers.




Here's a video I took of Tasha wearing her hip hound brace, though it turned out to be too big for her. I took this video to show to the brace company and they advised it was too big and were great about sending us a smaller size. She still won't use it but we have kept it just in case.
We had the opportunity to take a staycation on Maui a couple of weeks ago. To the right is a photo of the sunset from the south shore, in Wailea. The snorkeling and whale watching was amazing. My parents watched the dogs and my mom gave them so much love (and a haircut) they were refreshed and renewed when we returned from the weekend.

We had friends from Mainland visit us who knew our dogs way back when. One of them was the managing partner at my law firm when I started out as a young attorney. They were amazed that our dogs are still around. I've said this before, but we're sure the climate of Hawaii has extended the lifespan of our dogs, who were expected to live 12 or 13 years total. The vet told us on January 5, 2011 that Danzig's cancer would not allow him to live more than a few months. He is a happy boy these days, we give him and Tasha all the love that we can.


It's been a blessing to be able to apply my real estate law experience to my fun career as a realtor, I've helped some clients and good friends move into their new vacation homes over this past winter and enjoyed sharing paradise with them! Time to walk the dogs and ride our bikes to the Kailua Farmer's Market for dinner. Aloha for now! Happy Spring!









3 comments:

Kimber said...

Hi and thank you sooo much for all the info on here. I am planning on a Dec arrival to Oahu. I do have a question for you, if you have a moment to answer. I am also bringing 2 dogs. They are 9 and 5. They have never been crate trained. I am curious if yours were prior to "shipping" them. I know you mentioned getting them acclimated to the crates for a few weeks. I have started feeding them in their crates now, as I feel getting them used to this will be a HUGE hurdle for my girls. Do you have any tips on how you got them comfortable traveling in their crates? Thank you again for all your information.

Victoria said...

Hi Kimberlee,
Thanks for the comment. I may have put this in an earlier post to this blog, but I would give them treats in their crates and used the crates for "fun" travel. This was quite a chore but for a fun hike or walk we would take the trouble to put them in their crates to transport them to the trail or park. They would associate getting in the crates for fun times. If they like car rides I would suggest car rides always involve their crates too. good luck!

Jackie said...

Aloha!

Thank you for your blog! I'm planning on flying my two Labs (brothers-6 years old) on Alaska Airlines. They have a really good record and very caring people for the pet travel program. Maybe I'm blind but was trying to see what airlines you used? The rules are that we can only fly one dog at a time via baggage. I know all about the extensive HI check list. We have land up country where it's cooler in Maui. So that part will be good for the dogs, but must admit, your blog gives me some sense of security, as this process makes me very nervous! Really wish I had the bucks to take them on a private chartered jet so they could both be with me. They've never been separated and they've never left our home in CA. Got them when they were wee pups at the Humane Society. I was hoping they could fly together, but that would require Cargo and then you can't get a secure date for the reservation. We can lock in an absolute reservation via baggage with one dog at a time out of San Jose at Alaska Air.

Again, just curious about the airlines you used and if you know about an affordable group dog chartered flights from CA to HI?

Mahalo!

Jackie